So turns out the achievement's getting less and less glorious every time we test it.
It seems the gloriously working teleop system has a few painful bugs to work out. Most notably, the network reliability is very much on a downhill trend. More and more frequently, our drive controls are resetting themselves which is upsetting and suggests that there might be other potential problems with the UDP transmission we're relying on. That'll be a major thing to fix.
Also, after turning up our steering motor voltage and tuning our PID constants as best as possible, we're still getting a little oscillation in the steering wheel. So we might try turning up the I gain and/or turning down the motor voltage just a bit. I say that because, while testing with the vehicle on jacks, we had to max out our D gain just to keep the steering system stable. So, it seems like a safer course of action is to turn the motor voltage down a little to keep it stable. Similarly, the jerky gas pedal control is getting more and more annoying and we realized it was because the control loop for the gas pedal runs once per second, which seems way too slow. So, we'll try to turn up the speed of that loop and see if we get smoother gas pedal function.
Lots of problems so lots to do. We've set a second teleop deadline 2 weeks from now to have a second, more reliable version of teleop running. We'll see what happens by then....
Gator Research Blog
Welcome to the Gator Research Blog for the Sprint 2016 semester! The aim of this research will be to develop the software to enable drive-by-wire on a John Deere Gator and to begin developing a system for generating depth-registered images. Follow our progress here!